In 1907, the same year Oklahoma became a state, a revival meeting took place in Owasso. Out of that meeting, the First Christian Church of Owasso was organized with ten members. Services were held in a schoolhouse until the shell of its first building was erected in 1908. In 1911 the church borrowed $400 and completed the building. In 1955, the church called its first full time minister. Through the years the church continued to grow and the original building was expanded a number of times. A new sanctuary was completed in the 1960’s.
In the 1970’s, the church continued its growth, finding its strength and outreach based on Biblical principles and teaching. In 1972, the church withdrew from the Disciples of Christ denomination and became an independent Christian Church.
In 1977 the church purchased approximately 8 acres of land for relocation. A new building was built and dedicated in 1980. Growth continued through the 80’s and 90’s with ministries expanding into the community. As a result, the building itself was expanded three times with the final addition of classrooms and a Family Life Center in 1992.
Continued growth meant multiple services through the 90’s and early 2000’s. God met the need for more space through the Larkin Bailey Foundation’s gift of 22 acres of land on North Garnett. The acreage provided the opportunity to relocate the church facility in March of 2008.
In August of 2010 the congregation took the “faith-step” to start a First Christian Church satellite campus in the Stone Canyon area of Owasso. This allowed the church to become one church family with multiple locations.
In August of 2015, First Christian Church of Owasso made a practical and strategic decision to change it’s name to FIRST CHURCH as a part of it’s multi-site strategy and to bring more clarity to who we are as a church, modeled after the “first church” in Acts 2.
First Church has a long history of devotion to God and Jesus Christ, with an emphasis on Biblical teaching for all ages. The church is active in community outreach in Owasso, and the surrounding 918 area code and is committed to strong domestic and global Missions Outreach programs as well.
From our humble beginnings over a hundred years ago, God has blessed our efforts to reach people with the story of Jesus Christ. We can’t wait to see what Christ does in the next 100 years through His Church. To be His Church is an invitation to become a part of a greater story… His story.